Sunday, March 23, 2008

you don't know how lucky you are

I'm back in the ATL and there's ever so much to blog about. I spent most of the four and a half hour flight composing flame posts about the parents behind me and in front of me who decided that letting their toddlers wander up and down the aisles unattended was the BEST IDEA EVER. It got so bad that the flight attendants withheld drink service, stating in their announcement 'since people have decided to ignore the 'fasten seat belt' sign and refuse to sit down despite our requests, we will not be able to have our second drink service for this flight'. A guilty hush fell over the whole plane which was quickly followed by the free-range toddlers throwing fits (which, of course, included kicking my seat) as their parents tried to hold them in their laps so they could get a half-cup of coca-cola.

But enough about air travel. What's so interesting about crappy flying experiences? Far more interesting are my attempts to stay vegan in the dirty dirty. The day started off promising - my mom and I went to the local Kroger which had an entire health food section. A section! This middle of East Cobb grocery store had a better selection of veg food than my local Whole Foods; there was fake cream cheese, tahini, Newman's O's, and the largest variety of health bars I have ever seen ever. And I'm from the Bay Area.

Dining out was definitely a larger challenge. We went to the local classy-version of Applebees and I got a vegetable couscous plate. I even went so far as to be 'that girl' asking for no butter to be put on the food. What do I get? Broccoli covered in parmesan, beets with goat cheese, and couscous slipping in butter. Yum yum indeed. I decided to compensate for basically having bread for Easter dinner with a generous glass of Pinot Grigio, which resulted in being slightly drunk on Easter and taunting my older brother's iPod Touch with my iPhone. 'Oh, a Touch? How charming, how quaint. Did you pay extra just to access your mail on a free wireless network? Oh wait, I seem to have missed call - let me just check my visual voicemail'. I'm such a mean hungry vegan drunk.

In T-minus twelve hours I'm on a plane to Puerto Rico where my daily fruit intake will come from the pineapple wedge on my daiquiri. Good thing I packed vitamins. Hopefully there will be some Edge coverage (or free wifi, crossed fingers) so I can update with pics and musings on how to survive off Luna bars for four days. In the words of the Governator, hasta la vista.

No comments: