Sunday, March 30, 2008

it isn't easy being green

Remember how a couple weeks ago I was all ‘being vegan is so easy’? Yeah...I’ll just go ahead and take that back. Being home was tough. Well, to be more specific, going to the mall with my mom who wanted to buy me super cute stuff that was all made out of leather was tough.

Sigh.

Does it count that I personally did not pay for my adorable leather clutch? That it’s green and cows aren’t naturally green so it makes it easier to think that it’s synthetic? Is there anyway I can talk myself out of this?

I think I can give myself a get out of jail free card. Most people who start off being vegan focus on the food for a long time and work up to the clothes part. And I’ve been pretty darn good about the food. I survived in Puerto Rico and airports and the south being as vegan as I could be. I’m sure a lot of my food was cooked in butter and that blueberry bagel I had one day for lunch had some milk or egg somewhere in it. But otherwise I made it work without too much effort. The key to my success: ziplock bags. Never leave home without bags of cereal, nuts, raisins, and Newman's Os. Vegans must be both a toddler and the neurotic mother who takes care of them.

No comments: