Sunday, March 16, 2008

she fell in love with a drummer

A couple weeks ago fastmiso and I went to see Ira Glass and David Rakoff. While they were just delightful, the woman that CalPerf got from Cal to interview them was absolutely horrid. I spent most of the night just squirming in my seat as she interrupted the dialogue and generally disrupted what should have been an enjoyable evening.

Apparently the rest of the sold-out audience had the same experience and we got an email from CalPerf apologizing for the 'format' of the event and we got two free tickets to see the SFJazz Collective. If only the rest of the world worked that way. Can you imagine getting a general apology from the Internet on being lame along with a subscription to the New Yorker?

Not only did we get to see some great jazz performers last night for free (including the drummer Eric Harland, who I wanted to take home and just keep in my living room), but we also got to eat at this absolutely amazing vegan Japanese restaurant that we found through yelp. The place had all of six tables so I was glad we got hungry at 5PM. I had the pleasure/guilt of ordering dessert while a group of shifty Berkeley vegans stood outside the door watching any movement I made towards my wallet. Suckers.

It was one of those nights that made me wish I lived in Berkeley instead of el Palo Alto. Good vegan food, good jazz, and even the half-price bookstore was still open at 10:30 so I could get some paperbacks for the beach. The only late-night action (=9:00PM) in the PA happens at the Apple Store and the gelato place, and soccer moms are vegan because Skinny Bitch is on the bestsellers list. Not that I'm so bitter -- I also realize that living in Berkeley with all the hipsters would be pretty exhausting. I'd have to get a fixie and tighter jeans and actually give up honey.

No comments: