Sunday, April 27, 2008

you can call me tootie

My second post for this 'going vegan' blog (almost three months ago...how quickly the time goes by) was about my attempt to make vegan oatmeal raisin cookies. As you may recall, they were a disaster. Tonight, armed with a new spatula, a food processor, my apron, and the right ingredients, I decided it was time for kteighty vs the cookies, Round Two.

The results: kteighty 1, cookies 0. Not to toot my own horn, but toot toot. They came out soft and chewy (something I thought impossible for vegan cookies) and not a single raisin burned. I'm starting to feel like a proper vegan.

I also made my first Kiva donation tonight. I logged on to the site and saw that one woman was only $25 short of having her full loan request. I've been curious about the microloan business for a little while now, so I am interested to see how the whole process works. I am also still feeling guilty about eating at Cheesecake Factory on Friday night (friend's birthday. her choice. whadda ya gonna do?), and I am hoping that maybe the loan will function like a carbon offset. Not to rant, but beyond the name itself representing all that is wrong with restaurants in America today, the portion sizes and the sheer waste of food produced by every single table should be enough to make Oprah shake her new-earth fist in rage.

No comments: