Wednesday, April 16, 2008

making bad soup better

Last night the 'miso was working late on his dissertation so I had a single gal's dinner of soup. Normally soup is a solid vegan standby (great source of veggies and legumes without any sugar or other bad stuff I don't want), and I even opted for the uber-healthy version without any salt added. Imagine my dismay when I dumped the can into a pot and saw all of five sad little kidney beans floating around in tomato sauce and potato chunks.

I decided to boost my soup's health potential and it turned out well, and I've decided it's worth sharing since it is so insanely easy and makes soups all the better. All I did was add a can of pinto beans (kidney or white bean would probably be better, but pinto was all I had) from my pantry to the soup. I put in half the can whole and then mashed up the other half with a fork to make the soup a little denser. I happened to have some vegetable stock on hand so I added that and some tomato paste I had leftover from lasagna night. Toss in some herbs and you are good to go. Crappy low-nutrition soup is now fit for a veg blog.

Wow, I just blogged about soup. I promise this will get more interesting soon - my new kicks just arrived in the mail so I can go on ad nauseam about those later this week.

No comments: