Monday, February 18, 2008

What do we want? When do we want it?

I was reading the Vegan Sourcebook last night and it reminded me of everything I agree and disagree with about the whole vegan 'movement'. The chapters on the animal industry (dairy, eggs, leather, wool) were once again eye opening and at points I literally had to put the book down and try not to throw up. I had the same reaction when the book went on to talk about the possibility of getting all new vegan friends and ditching those unenlightened meat-eating friends. Vomit. This is what turned me off of veganism in the first place. Well, that and a good hard cheddar.

I can certainly understand how sitting at a meal with a bunch of hunters eating veal is the equivalent to eating dinner with racists who like to beat puppies. But swearing off Thanksgiving with your family? Getting a divorce? I always thought the compassion part of veganism should extend to animals and humans.

I think I was particularly enraged because fastmiso's pater is a hunter and vet who once ran the animal lab at Dupont. According to the vegan manifesto, I should ditch the boy and picket his family's home.

AND I'm supposed to call Henry and Finnegan my 'domesticated companions'. These two animals just fought over who gets to sit in the blue Ikea bag left on the floor after I did laundry. They are pets. When they actually do the laundry, I might consider calling them companions. Actually...I seem to have a hard time getting my other domesticated companion to do the laundry. Maybe I should call him my pet, too.

No comments: