Sunday, February 24, 2008

everybody's working for the weekend

The whole vegan thing was such a non-issue this weekend that I almost don't feel right writing about it as though it were an issue worth relating. But I have nothing else to post, and you have nothing else to do on a Monday morning when you should be working, so here we go...

Friday night fastmiso and I cooked our standard quinoa, fake-meat cutlet, and greens dinner before going to see Hitchcock's Rope at the theater by our place. Recommendation: steamed kale with lemon juice. No, really. Go be the crazy person that actually eats those 'leafy greens' Women's Health has been yelling at you to eat.

On Saturday we were up in the east bay to see Ira Glass and David Rakoff and had some take-out Indian beforehand with our friends and their new baby (well, the baby didn't eat indian. it's two months old. but I wanted to add the frightening detail that I have friends with BABIES). The Indian place labeled all the vegan entrees with a happy little leaf and they even offered a vegan version of my fav dish, Malai Kofta. And our friends had made vegan chocolate chip cookies for dessert, not even knowing I was back on the vegan wagon. Welcome to Berkeley.

Tonight I had a small Oscars party with lots of fun little vegan appetizers. I think I was so excited about using my new food processor (I seriously called fastmiso into the kitchen on two separate occasions to marvel at my finely chopped onions and walnuts) that the 'challenging' vegan part of the appetizers fell by the wayside as a concern. Who cares about egg substitute when you have the most sublimely pureed cannellini beans? And once again a friend made vegan chocolate chip chips that, once again, made me embarrassed at my previous baking endeavor. But, thanks to my shiny red food processor, I had a fantastic walnut-mushroom pate that seemed to say to the world that yes, I can be something of a cook, too. Even if I can't bake cookies.

Perhaps my cooking excitement sapped away some of its strength, but did anyone else find the Oscars to just be a giant yawn? Stewart was adorable as always but I can't quite put my finger on a single memorable moment. So sad when a vegan pasta salad (=a blatant excuse to use my nayonaise) outshines the academy awards.

3 comments:

Emily HK said...

i fell even more in love with jon stewart when he called marketa irglova back on stage to say her thank yous. it was a classy thing to do. otherwise, yawn-city!

Unknown said...

i started out watching the oscars, but then the stunning conclusion of "pride & prejudice" was on masterpiece theater, and i had to watch that and shout all the lines outloud with my tv. are the shades of pemberly to be thus polluted?! by the by, i love kale. it is amazing when cooked with sourkraut and mustardseeds. mmmm.

KT80 said...

Oh, I loved that part, too! She was so adorable (and I was so happy they won despite the 'Enchanted' odds).

Thanks meg meg for the kale tip...this might just get fastmiso to eat it too (as opposed to searching for 'my girlfriend is a vegan' support groups).