Friday, February 8, 2008

and among other things

I'm starting this blog for a few reasons.

One, typing 'Dear Diary' in Pages (yes, I use Pages. Not Mellel or some other hip processor) to myself is a bit like auditing a course. I want the experience without the accountability, and I know that eventually I'll just stop going. So here I am, officially enrolling for a letter grade and all. What this means: this blog is for me, not for you. You read it? Okay, fine. I might link to some silly fail cats just for you. But for the most part I'm just rambling about my day-to-day life as I get back into being vegan.


Two, the search results on the interweb for a decent vegan blog were disappointing. Oh, there were plenty of vegan blogs - plen-tee. But for some reason being vegan+keyboard=fucking tofu! Seriously. I was hard pressed to find a blog (or any basic vegan site) that wasn't full of expletives and eulogies for tempeh and quinoa. Whole grains are cool and all and sneaky uses of casein are pretty lame, but there simply must be more to your life.


This bring us to three (and the title). Yes, I'm getting back into being a vegan and, yes, I want to chronicle it. Kind of. Being vegetarian for the past twelve years is certainly a part of who I am, but it's just one of the things among other things (=inter alia) that occupy my time. I'm also getting a PhD in Classics and basically live the pseudo-average life of a grad student on the verge of 30 in Silicon Valley. While I will talk about the vegan stuff (oh the perils of eating out! oh the lack of soy yogurt at Trader Joes! oh my increased sense of self worth!) I'm also going to talk about the other things I have going on, like teaching for an online high school and living with fastmiso (which could be a blog unto itself).


And who knows - maybe after three weeks of veganism I, too, will eschew propriety and write flame posts about Chik patties and Whole Foods. But let's hope not. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

on the verge of 30?! wha?! you just gave me a panic attack. we are mid-20's! if we're on the verge of anything, it's late-20's. none of this 30s business. xoxo, megbert