Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pasta 1, kt80 0

I just had a little moment of reflection and decided to google how exactly one does make gnocchi. I realized these scrumptious potato dumplings might contain something other than potato. And, voila, we have egg yolk. Awesome.

Today has been a textbook vegan day to my sheer embarrassment. When I went to return a movie (recommendation: wordplay. The ending is a real heartbreaker AND you get to see what Neal Conan looks like) this morning I happened upon a farmer's market. IN FEBRUARY. I picked up some salad greens (bok choy already mixed in? be still my heart!) and a couple blocks of local, organic, tofu from two very happy girls that were earnestly forcing samples of tofu jerkey on helpless market goers. I even signed a petition to free hens from cages. What a morning.

I then had a kitchen success this afternoon with hummus from the Veganomicon cookbook (check out the website, it has the same recipe: http://www.theppk.com/). It was creamy, it had texture, and it let me use up the rest of the tahini in my fridge, which I think was beginning to corrupt the almond butter. And the cherry on top: the burning smell that came from my 4 year old blender gave me full permission to waste the next hour checking out food processors on Amazon. I might just treat myself with a Target trip today.

No comments: