Monday, September 8, 2008

the phantom photo booth


One of the new hip things to have at your wedding reception is a rented photo booth for your guests to take pictures. The photos are definitely awesome (just check out the recent pics on merlinmann's flickr stream), but to rent an actual photo booth is scads of money. money that could be spent on booze. and booze is really the secret to great photos.

But I do still like the idea of letting your friends and family take pictures of themselves (especially if you leave them a whiteboard for personal messages...), so I have been hunting around the web for some DIY options. The easiest solution would be to set up a laptop with mac's photo booth ready to go and use the apple remote to 'release the shutter'. There's a nice little app called remote buddy that will let you program the apple remote to do just that. But then I started thinking, do I really want to leave my laptop sitting unattended? I would be a basket case.

Enter option two, a wireless shutter release for my D40. I could just set the camera up on a tripod, provide some height guidelines and people could snap their own photos while maintaining a very comfortable distance from the equipment. I could set the camera to 'burst' mode and basically achieve the same multiple shot effect that you get in a booth.

I'm still left with the tricky problem of potentially inebriated guests (particularly those sneaky plus-ones who have not yet been completely vouched for and can't hold their free liquor very well) around my expensive toys. I'm also realizing that setting up a space for a make-shift photo booth at our venue could be pretty tricky - but I'm not admitting defeat yet. If my Doppelganger Ellen Page looks this adorable in a photo booth, it clearly bodes well for my own wedding day photo booth potential.

2 comments:

Emily HK said...

KEVIN ARNOLD! My love! You should see if your photographer can set up a photobooth for you. That's what we're doing - it's cheaper than the actual photobooth machine, and you can fit more people in each shot.

KT80 said...

you've already gotten a photographer and had a conversation with them about such things? good lord, you are on the ball. is it the same people who photographed meg's wedding?