Monday, September 15, 2008

I came, I taught, I felt a small sense of pride

There a lot of reasons I like teaching Latin to high schoolers. I like that it takes me back to my happy place of taking Latin in high school (wow, that is a totally lame happy place), I like that I know what the heck I'm talking about, and I really like the age group. They're old enough to be within the grasp of emotional maturity, but still young enough to respect authority, to think that I know everything, and to absorb all the dumb stuff I say in class.

Case in point, I have a thing for the paradigm of the second person singular pronoun, tu. It just makes me giggle. And my students were well aware of this fact. So aware, in fact, that today I received the following gift from one of my students:



Yes, that would be a needlepoint of the she-wolf with Romulus and Remus, bordered by the paradigms for ego and tu. and the first Latin phrase my students ever learned. How can you doubt your career choice when this kind of thing shows up in the mail?

No comments: