Friday, February 20, 2009

ctl+alt+delete

After a celebratory week of lots of wine and lots of cheese, my body needs a clean start, reboot, and possibly a force quit of a couple applications that are using up all my time and energy.

I've decided that starting Sunday I'm going to follow the vegan detoox detailed in Jan/Feb issue of Body+Soul magazine (it's a Martha mag). I'm not really a detox fan, but this one is actually very reasonable (I tried it out a couple days last week while the miso was out of the house to make sure it was possible). Basically, you eat a lot of brown rice. Like, a whole lot. For breakfast it's oatmeal and green tea, for lunch it's brown rice and a legume of your choosing, and then dinner is brown rice with steamed veggies. You start and end each day with a glass of tepid water with lemon juice. Not bad, right?

I'm waiting until Sunday because, frankly, there is still pecorino in the house and a lovely bottle of wine that I think I will only rightly appreciate this weekend. And me and the miso have some serious celebrating to do.

In addition to the detox I'm trying to reset my sleep schedule. This might just be the hardest thing I've ever done for my own health. I love (I dare say lurve) sleeping in. As someone who takes a while to fall asleep at night, I relish the warmth and comfort of my bed in the morning. Any sleep anxiety from the night before is completely replaced with the warm snugglies of my bed in the morning. Yes, snugglies. My concept of heaven is a warm bed on a cold morning that I never have to leave.

But I hate that I don't start my day until 10. That I rush through the morning. That I get to campus to teach right before my class. That I never get the things done in the morning that I tell myself I will the night before. And I'm also realizing that if I don't start to do some sort of physical activity in the morning that impending wedding dress fitting will make me weep.

So I'm trying to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. The biggest hurdle to this one will be the dear miso. My dear sweet miso who can stay up until 2 in the morning and still wake up at 7 chipper and ready to feed the cats. The problem is that I am a light faller asleeper and he is an immediate faller asleeper once he does go to bed, which is much later than I do. The slightest little sniffle will rouse me from sleep and I will be grumpy. In fairness, I will be a raging bitch filled with hate I never thought possible. And once awake I will seethe and stress and bemoan the fact that I will never fall back asleep. Did I mention what I catch I am?

Last night I wore a sleep mask and even put in ear plugs, but I still woke up around midnight after having fallen asleep early. I managed to get out of bed at 8:30ish...maybe it was 9 and took a 'brisk walk in the sunshine' as the interweb told me I should to help reset my clock. And that really did help - I was borderline tolerable during breakfast, and I made it to campus with time to actually prepare for class.

So we'll see how it all goes. I'm feeling optimistic about the detox because I'm pretty good about controlling my eating habits, but the new sleep schedule could end up being disasterous for all involved.

No comments: