Thursday, January 28, 2010

money for nothing

I realize that this economic downturn is by and large a very bad thing. But for those of us in academia who can spend Wednesday mornings at a near-empty mall, this recession totally rocks. I scored a cashmere sweater at the BR for 12.99. Now I won't be nearly as angry when the sweater inevitably begins to pill and get holes. Then I went into Aveda to buy a candle, and the super bored employee decided to smear every kind of face cream on me, put lots of product in my hair, and then top it all off with a neck and back massage while I sipped herbal tea. All for the price of a candle (well, and the tea. I love that Aveda tea and finally buckled and bought some). After that I went to the Container Store to pick up our brand new elfa shelving for the 'Master Bedroom' closet. That label kind of cracks me up. It's our only bedroom, so the term 'master' might be overdoing it. How about the 'not the room with the futon' (reach-in) closet (with no interior lighting)? Much more accurate. After they loaded up my car with elfa galore, I went back in to check out some under cabinet solutions. This sweet girl walked me up and down every aisle and listened with such intent as I explained the giant recess of uselessness that is our corner cabinet. I think she really felt my pain. I felt a bit more pain than I was anticipating at the check out. How can a lazy susan be so expensive? It's a plastic circle. A WHEEL. Wheels should not be expensive, especially when its only function is to spin. In a circle. With tupperware on top.

So the moral of the story -- go to the mall. Now. Right now. That chick at Aldo's will be over the moon while you try on nine pairs of boots. She might even toss in the foot pads for free.

No comments: