Wednesday, May 13, 2009

the anxiety of influence


Every time I try to blog about my wedding stuff, it all sounds so boring that I end up posting something else entirely. Does anyone really need to read about the debate over resetting my wedding band? Or the big wedding shoe dilemma? Or the fact that the wedding planner has gone totally MIA and I'm half-expecting to call the restaurant one of these days and just hear an operator tell me the number is no longer connected? 

Well, maybe that last bit might interest some folks (seriously, Lukka, where are you? Are you off at some hipster convention checking out the latest too-tight denim wear? Or are you in gay Paris promoting the slow food movement with benefit concerts? Cuz I need to know whether we can throw lavender at my wedding. This is serious stuff, mister fancy pants), but the other decisions I need to make are pretty low on the interest meter. Somewhere around the 'I ate a cheese sandwich' blog post level.

But here is one mildly amusing tidbit: for some time now I have been picturing lots of cakes on cake platters instead of a tiered wedding cake for the reception. I've been hunting through all the blogs and mags to find an image of what I want but with little success. And then a couple nights ago, while I was putting on my PJs, I bothered to turn my head three inches to the right and saw the framed print of one of my favorite Thiebaud paintings:


Oh, right...that image of lots of cakes on cake platters. Tee hee indeed. I'm starting to wonder now about the inspiration behind those haystacks I want strategically positioned throughout the reception area and that pool of water filled with water lilies. Hmm...


No comments: