Tuesday, June 10, 2008

a new kind of bridezilla

At some point this blog is going to turn into something of a 'vegan wedding planning' blog, but for now it will remain a 'going vegan' blog with occasional bursts of 'jesus christ weddings are complicated' tidbits.

Here is one such tidbit: getting engaged is not a endpoint.

Who knew? I sure didn't. And based on the look of nausea on fastmiso's face anytime someone so much as mentions 'picking a date', I'm guessing he didn't know either. I think when you date someone for a long time around a certain age and stage in life, and you're a neurotic girl, you spend some time thinking about the engagement and all it entails: the proposal, the ring, the venue. And I'm guessing the boy thinks about these things a fair amount as well. But who the heck is thinking about the actual wedding? Weddings are for adults, people with new houses and empty cupboards that must be filled by a registry. Engagements are for the impetuous youth who are sick of saying 'boyfriend' when they fill out rental applications or getting hit on by sketchy dudes at Borders on a Tuesday night. 'See this ring, mister? Back off. I am now entitled to look at vegan cupcake cooking books in peace'.

But I am, according to all my eager relatives, engaged to be married. And I'm slowly beginning to realize that any good intentions I may have had about completely avoiding the commercialized behemoth that is a modern day wedding are being blown to pieces. Even if we were to go to city hall and have a quiet brunch afterwards (SintheC spoiler alert), we would have to elbow our way in past all the (rightly entitled) gay couples and then wait for hours at a restaurant for a table that could accommodate a party larger than two. Seriously, where in NYC or SF or even Omaha, NE, can a party of ten easily sit down together for brunch? And if the waitstaff so much as catches a whiff of baby's breath to indicate that it's a wedding party, your bill suddenly doubles.

Damned if you do, damned if you 'I do'.

But I am going to try my best to stay in engagement bliss. I'm going to look at my boy and my ring and remind myself that it is, in fact, about us and our life together. And maybe a kickass vegan wedding cake.

No comments: