Tuesday, May 6, 2008

new 'do

Has anyone you know transitioned from salon friends to real life friends? You know, actually hung out and gabbed with their stylist outside the haircut? I really think I want to make that leap with my Aveda stylist. She understands completely when I say, "I need this bob not to make me look like Velma." She goes to ugly sweater parties and plays the Wii and commiserates with me on all these tweens who have crushes on Johnny Depp, though they have no clue about this thing called 21 Jumpstreet.

I've been to her a few times already, but yesterday just sealed the deal because I finally got the haircut I always wanted. It's the haircut I resolve to get every time I make an appointment, and I try to explain but always fail to and then leave the salon with yet-another-borderline-soccer-mom bob. But this time I was ready. I had pictures. And a vivid description. She got it. I said asymmetrical. I said to sweep it across the back. And she did. She even offered to not use any product and basically airdry it so we could give the new 'do a real-life test drive. When it was all over, we hugged. It was that wonderful of an experience for all involved. I mean, I clapped. (Admittedly, I spent my formative years with halerino, so I pretty much clap at everything, but still. Clapping in the salon chair, even when you have that wretched black sheet tied around your neck so you look like some kind of tootsie pop ghost, is quite a statement.) And then, the icing on the cake, she gave me an obscene amount of free samples so I can figure out what fun new product to use with my fun new haircut.

So I want to be her friend. I want her to come over to play Mario Kart and we can drink Aveda herbal tea that she takes from work and bag on all the uptight palo altan moms who come in for their every-six-weeks haircut and highlight.

Oh, hairstylist, do you just like me for the tips?

1 comment:

Emily HK said...

email me a picture, post haste.