Thursday, May 1, 2008

i am ironman

I've become a little obsessed with my iron and protein absorption, especially since in the past I would blame any problem I had on deficiencies in either. 'I can't concentrate on my chapter draft - must be that damn iron deficiency.' 'I just don't have the energy to go for a run, clean the litter box, do the dishes. Clearly I need more protein.'

One of the tips to boost iron and protein levels for vegans is avoiding caffeine and alcohol when eating iron, since it hinders iron absorption (plant iron, not animal iron - you meat-eaters are just fine). You're also supposed to have vitamin C with iron to help absorption. For the most part, this has been pretty easy to do. I have some OJ with breakfast and save my tea for mid-morning. And I make sure to have tomatoes or red peppers with my lunch and dinner. Cutting out wine with dinner? Are you kidding?

So to offset my vino, I decided to incorporate another iron tip: cast-iron cookware. It supposedly helps to maintain the iron content of food while you cook, and lifting the damn thing also has muscle-building health benefits. I had been steering clear of that one since cast-iron tends to be pricey, but last night at Ikea I discovered their Le Creuset knock-off series. Swoon. I got the small-sized skillet but I have a feeling I might go back for the casserole dish. If I can pick it up.

No comments: