Wednesday, February 24, 2010

want to connect on friendster? LOL!

I'm too old for Cook Club.

It was a great evening out and I enjoyed the bananas foster, apple crumb cake, and 9 different kinds of quiches, but that crowd might as well have been in diapers. Or on an MTV reality show. Things were going well for the first part of the evening. Underneath the strung-up Christmas lights in an apartment inhabited by 6 roommates, I found the one lone mom in the crowd and nodded patiently as she moaned about her thinning hair and kept checking her phone to see if the sitter needed anything. That was good - I felt young and unencumbered by children or hair issues and sipped my bloody mary knowing I was walking home and not driving back in a minivan. And then she left. To be with her kids. And I was stuck with a roomful of twenty-somethings.

They talked about Degrassi High (the new one), the cryptic text messages sent by various boys (who were so totally lame and so totally did not deserve them), and how much they hate their internships or being unemployed. I talked about Roto-Rooter and the horsehair insulation we found in our walls after installing our elfa shelving. And don't even get me started on those old drafty windows! They talked about the old 90210 like it was a cultural artifact, something their parents did not let them watch but which they were now experiencing through the Netflix. I talked about Good Morning, Miss Bliss. When they started to discuss the millennial new year's parties they attended while freshmen in high school, I thought it best to leave. Not that they weren't all smart, charming women who were living an exciting post-grad life in the big city. They were great. And I have no end of respect for the one girl who brought Cap'n Crunch to the Cook Club (with TWO kinds of milk choices no less!). But after a couple hours and a couple mimosas, listening to those girls play out every detail of a current relationship, dissecting whether the boy was 'just not that into her', and listing all the problems in their apartments that the landlord hadn't gotten around to fixing, I got really homesick for my stage in life. All I wanted to do by the end of the evening was go home, hug my dear husband, and fall asleep in a room that I could repaint or carpet at any point in time if the spirit so moved me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i wasn't allowed to watch 90210 when it came out. but i watched the hell out of the reruns.